Bakers Dozen: Best "Self-Titled" Albums.

>> Saturday, January 17, 2009

Lets start with the rules for this list.

1. If the majority of a bands albums are self-titled, they are going to be excluded from this list. (So, this will rule out all the awesome albums from Weezer. I mostly just did this, to make it more of a challenge, I mean, Weezer would be on the list like 4 times otherwise).
2. If the albums is commonly known by another name, i.e. "The White Album" they cannot be used. This rule sucks, because I really love "The White Album." But rules is rules.
3. This is not the best of all time in the VH1 sense. These are the best self-titled albums in the world of Adam. Its pretty simple.


1. Sublime - Sublime
















Easily the best self-titled albums of all time. There are so many great tracks on this disc, that you cannot wait for one song to end so you can hear the next.

Favorite Track - "Same in the End"

2. Third Eye Blind - Third Eye Blind
















If I were to re-do my best albums of all time list, I would really, really move this way up. Probably into the top 15. I forgot how good it actually was, but I have truly rediscovered it this year.

Favorite Track - (tie) "Motorcycle Drive By" & "God of Wine"

3. Tracy Chapman - Tracy Chapman
















Unassuming. Charming. Breathtaking. This album, and its contents will keep popping up on lists as long as I have a say. Look for it on my "Songs That Make You Shut Up & Listen" blog in the upcoming weeks.

Favorite Track - "Baby Can I Hold You"

4. Nickel Creek - Nickel Creek
















As a lot of you may know, I have never been a huge fan of country. If you know me really well, you have probably heard me mock it often. But, I am a huge fan of deft song writing, and skillful musicianship, which this album has in spades.

Favorite Track - "The Lighthouse's Tale"

5. Train - Train

















This was my favorite band when I was in highschool. I do not know why, nor do I know why I feel embarrassed to admit that. But, looking back, this is a damn good album.

Favorite Track - "I Am"

6. Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes



















Yes, this is an album from 2008. And yes, it does merit this ranking. If you take indie rock, stir in a little Neil Youngish country, and splash in some hymnal harmonies, you would stumble across this Seattle band. Really, really good.

Favorite Track - "White Winter Hymnal"

7. 311 - 311


















Seriously, could there be another album that helped change music and gotten no credit at all? I mean, would we have Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, or any of the other Rap Rock bands with out the success of this album.

Favorite Track - "All Mixed Up"

8. Crosby, Stills & Nash - Crosby, Stills & Nash


















Three whirlwind talents coming together to create on of the first supergroups. This album would also make my best debut albums blog.

Favorite Track - "Suite - Judy Blue Eyes"

9. Amos Lee - Amos Lee


















You do not know this guy by name, but I PROMISE you know his music. One of the best songwriters in this new crop. YouTube him, you will be surprised how many songs you know.

Favorite Track - (tie) "Arms of a Woman" & "Colors"

10. Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend



















Yes, another album from 2008. Yes, when I made my top albums of 2008 blog, this album was ranked above The Fleet Foxes. But that was a month ago, and lots can change. It is not that I have tired of this record, not at all. It just speaks volumes about how much The Fleet Foxes have grown on me.

Favorite Track - "M79"

11. Conor Oberst - Conor Oberst


















Better known as Bright Eyes this singer/songwriter cuts to the heart of things on this disc. I have to admit, I have never found myself drawn to a Bright Eyes album, but this one caught me. He should keep this new moniker.

Favorite Track - "Cape Canaveral"

12. Gorillaz - Gorillaz


















I do not have a whole lot to say about this album. It is wild, it is well produced, it is well written, and it is preformed.

Favorite Track - "Tomorrow Comes Today"

13. Alice in Chains - Alice in Chains


















I struggled to find a thirteenth album. I remember loving this album, but when I listen to it now, I skip the majority of the disc to find the tracks I like. Why is that? How can we LOVE an album, but 13 years later, not feel it? So, for lack of a better disc, here is the extra roll in your Bakers Dozen.

Favorite Track - "Grind"






0 comments:

Post a Comment