Bakers Dozen: Best Sequels Of All Time

>> Thursday, January 22, 2009

Have you ever looked at the word "Sequel?" That's a fucked up looking word. Anyways, in homage to that ugly word, I am going to tackle an ugly topic, Sequels!

You may notice, that I am going to be taking some liberties with the word in this list. It was more fun this way. So, not all selections will relate to film.

So, here is the rules. If it is part of a series, such as Harry Potter, Star Wars, Die Hard, ect.... I will not include it. This is just to make the list less predictable and harder to do. This will also include most* trilogies. Deal.


1. Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo

















I have pity for those of you that are currently scoffing at this selection. You have obviously never lost yourself in the campy-ness of the 80's. Best 80's dance movie period, and that says something. Starting out in the horrible movie (how did they even get the sequel approved and funded?) Breakin', a jazz dancer teams up with two hip-hop dancers to form and new group to dance on street corners. In the sequel, they team up again, to help save a community center by putting on a show and dancing in the street.... wait... what?

2. The Simpsons










The average fan will forget that the Simpsons started out as a cartoon short on the Tracey Ullman Show. It was raw, it was crass, it was the beginning. Now, it is the longest running sitcom in the history of television.

3. NCIS








Spinoff... Sequel... Same Diff on this list. Trust me, this is not the furthest stretch you will get out of me on this list. Starting out as a crappy lawyer show called JAG, this show spunoff into a great show that is currently on high priority on my DVR. One of the best shows on TV.

4. Sister Act 2
















This is my gay statement of the week. I love "Sister Act 2." There I said it. I do not know what it is, you get me a movie about highschool kids, singing, dancing, spelling, quizzing, or anythinging really and you got me hooked. Toss in a competition of some sort and I will pay to see it.

5. Mila Kunis Taking over the Voice of Meg Griffin from Lacey Chabert










Is there any doubt? Plus, Mila is top five.

6. Ryan Adams (and the Cardinals)











Ryan Adams (and the Cardinals) is one of my favorite singersongwriters out there right now. But a lot of people do not realize that he came from a small band called Whiskeytown before he struck Gold* on his own. He is amazing, but an asshole. But I think that makes him a little cooler.

*Gold was the name of his second solo release, and one of my top 50 albums of all time.

7. D2: The Mighty Ducks














The first one was alright, but poorly made, overall, I guess it was a pretty good movie. The second one, added a few new characters, added a larger budget, and a better, more original storyline. Yes, this is part of a trilogy, but I am including it, and pretending that the third one was never made (even though I own it).

8.Toy Story 2















This may be one of the rare times where I actually loved both films equally, and possibly, if pressed to decide, the sequel more. Word on the street, and by street, I mean, this chair I am sitting in, a third movie, with the full cast is in the works.

9. Pinky and The Brain














This is another spinoff that people often forget about how it started. One of my favorite cartoons when I was a child, and still one of the most memorable shows for any twentysomething.

"Pinky: 'Gee Brain, what do you want to do tonight?'
The Brain: 'The same thing we do every night, Pinky—try to take over the world.'"

Say that in a bar and I promise at least one person will finish that quote for you.

10. Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey

















Playing Death for you own life. Evil Robot Bill and Ted's. The Wyld Stallyns. Awesome. 'Nuff said.

11. Terminator 2: Judgment Day















I honestly, did not like the original movie. I Just have never watched it and been enthralled. However, that is not the case with T2. Great movie, great lines, great action. Probably should be higher on this list, but I am too lazy to change it now.

12. Weekend at Bernie's 2















Just the fact that they would actually prolong this storyline gets my attention and merits ranking. And it is not unwatchable.

13. The Hills













OK, so I would have totally put this higher, but I already made my gay statement of the week, so I am trying to slide this in under the radar.... I guess, telling you that defeats the purpose... hmmm... too lazy to change. Anyways, yes I am sucked in by the drama of the hills, and LC may be the most beautiful woman on TV.

* I make the rules, and some trilogies will stay because I am too lazy to do more research.







0 comments:

Post a Comment