Hometown Love. Top 10 Films Filmed in Tacoma

>> Sunday, January 18, 2009

Time for some Hometown love. I was recently playing around, researching for an upcoming list (best biopics) and realized how many of my favorite movies are filmed in my favorite city (and closely surrounding areas).

So, if you watch these movies, they will often try to play things off like they are actually in Seattle. But they are not. Tacoma is much more awesomer! I mean, we are prettier, and have the Glass Museum, and we have a Truck named after us!

You may notice, a tie for first place. I love both movies so much that I could not choose.

List away....

1a. I Love You To Death.
















Tacoma's triangular Bostwick Building on Broadway is Joey Boca's (Kevin Kline) Pizzeria while the second floor serves as the Villa Rosalie apartments. Other locations include: Bob's Java Jive, Stadium High School Bowl and Holy Rosary Church.


1b. Say Anything.
















Bob's Java Jive in Tacoma was used for the famous "Friends with Potential" scene.

3. Ten Things I Hate About You.

















The Majority of this was filmed at Stadium High School and a beautiful old North Tacoma home that was owned by our senior class president. My locker on prominent display, as it was the storage unit of choice for that strange girl who was in love with Shakespeare. I have trouble actually watching the storyline of this, I know so many people in the background its hard to focus.

4. Prefontaine
















The majority of this was filmed at the University of Puget Sound that was converted in to Hayward Field in Eugene. If you look closely, you can see me as a blur in the audience on the opposite side of the track. I am the white guy on the left.

5. War Games
















The Goose Island scenes were filmed at Anderson Island which you can see from my beach house.

6. Black Sheep
















Not so much Tacoma, but Buckley, which counts if you ask me, same County anyways.

7. Three Fugitives
















The Bank that Martin Short Holds up is actually Old City Hall in downtown Tacoma.

8. The Hand That Rocks the Cradle
















Filmed all over Tacoma. Most Famous for the house in the Stadium District of North Tacoma. Its creepy in person too, I sold wrapping paper there once. Yeah, wrapping paper. Something my Catholic Elementary school thought was a good idea, go door to door with tubes of paper in hand. I am surprised I did not get mugged by some Martha Stewart wannabe.

9. Rose Red
















Made for TV but still slightly awesome. Filmed in various locations from Tacoma and Lakewood.

10. Enough
















Alright, this movie kinda sucks, but the locations are beautiful. A lot of the outdoor town stuff is filmed in Gig Harbor.


Honorable Mention:

Get Carter, Born To Be Wild, Countdown, Black Circle Boys.





3 comments:

Stevie January 24, 2009 at 6:42 PM  

Okay let's go in order...
1) My Aunt Barb was in I love you to death, but what makes this movie the best is obvi River. Nuf said.

2)10 things would have been number 1 on my list since so many of our friends are in it. Oh and some ex-boyfriends (mine, not yours lol).

3)Prefontaine- uh, also in it and did you meet Jared? Cause he wrote me a love note after this ;)

4)The Hand that Rocked the Cradle- my mom's friend lived in that house. I guess I was there when I was little. Creepy.

Addi January 25, 2009 at 2:52 PM  

Are you ruling out "Say Anything" because it is only in tacoma for a couple scenes or because you just do not like it? And if you do not like it, then I do not know if you are human. one of the best movies ever!

Anonymous,  August 10, 2013 at 7:13 PM  

"WAITING FOR THE LIGHT" scenes were filmed at my former middle school Gault

Post a Comment