Bakers Dozen: Best DVD Commentaries

>> Monday, February 2, 2009

Yes, I am. I am that asshole that watches and enjoys the commentaries that are often ignored by most viewers.

Here is the list of my favorites. To make it a bit easier for me, I have only pulled from my own personal collection of movies, which currently stands at 208 selections.

So, here goes. (I am only going to comment on my top five. I mean, commentaries are commentaries)

**Edit** I forgot to include Accepted on this list. I am sorry. I am dumb. I bumped Dodgeball off the list to make up for this obvious lapse of judgment.

1. Once
















This may be due to the fact that it is my all time favorite movie, but this is truly an excellent DVD with two seperate commentaries. One with with actors and director talking about making the film and second one that just focuses on the music itself. It is very insightful.

2. Made
















One of the funniest movies and commentaries you can find, and a 100% original one at that. Vince Vaughn and Jon Favreau not only speak about every possible aspect of making the film, but they also do something they call "Action Commentary" in which they actually draw, Madden-style, on the screen to point out details otherwised missed. This concept hits its peak when, without speaking, they tally all the F-bombs in one scene across the whole screen. I tried to find a clip of this so you can see what I am talking about, but to no avail.

3. Forgetting Sarah Marshall
















Easily my favorite movie of last year. The DVD does not let down either. Gathering the whole cast (excluding Kristen Bell, who cannot get her cellphone to connect properly, which is in itself very funny), this commentary does not give you much insight, but will make you pee yourself.

4. Garden State
















Great commentaries x2. First you get the Zach and Nat combo that is just undeniably enjoyable to listen too, and is personally my favorite. Second you can also listen too the behind the scene commentary by writer-director-actor Zach Braff, director of photography Lawrence Sher, editor Myron Kerstein, and production designer Judy Becker. Both are very, very insightful for different reasons.

5. Two Weeks Notice
















This should be seen as a testament that I really will listen and watch almost any commentary. But, I hope you are not shocked by this selection. Put Hugh Grant and Sandra Bullock in a room together and record. Not often are they actually talking about the film, but not often are you not laughing. So much fun.

6. The Boondock Saints
















Off topic. Sequel scheduled for release next year.

7. The Notebook
















Ok, so I know I said I would only talk about my top five, but I want to point something out. Generally, the commentaries I enjoy the most are those that feature the actors, talking about their experiences, not so much the movie. However, this is the best example of the antonym of that. This commentary only features the director, alone. And it could not be more riveting or insightful.

8. Accepted
















9. Wedding Crashers
















10. Say Anything
















11. Murderball

















12. Holes

















All the kids get together and bash on eachother, lots of fun.

13a. Step Up
















13b. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

















Also considered ------ Dodgeball - Casablanca - Fame






0 comments:

Post a Comment