Best of 2011: Most Disappointing/Worst Records

>> Sunday, December 4, 2011

This is my least favorite list to write, but I told myself it is a necessary evil. If I only ever write about albums I like, I will never seem objective. So, this is it. I am going to write a post about the most disappointing and/or worst records of the year.
Now, I'd say most of these albums ended up on this list, not due to lack of qualify, but due to failure to live up to the expectations I had for them. Now, that is not the case for all of them, a few of these are just wrong.

I am not going to rank these, nor am I going to go into detail tearing the record apart. These artists put their heart and souls into these releases, and above all else, I respect that. And I know. that I put my heart and soul into this site, and if someone were to not like it, that's cool, but if they were to put in time tearing it and me down, it would hurt. So if you expect to see a bunch of verbal jabs, you are in the wrong place.


The Beastie Boys - Hot Sauce Committee Part Two
I am not sure of the Boys have lost their flavor or if I have lost my taste for them. But I could barely stomach this release. On top of that, my expectations were set pretty high by a buddy of mine who talked this record up like crazy in the weeks prior to its release. 

BOAT - Dress Like Your Idols
This record failed due to my own expectations. But, that more speaks to the unspeakably high quality of their previous releases, most notably their 2009 release "Setting The Paces," then to the low quality of this one. This just feels like their hearts were not in it. 

Bow Ribbons - Bow Ribbons
I know I said I was not going to tear any records apart. I think it's mean. So, I will do my best to refrain. But it is not easy, as this is probably the least successful album I've ever heard. I picked this up after watching a pretty impressive live clip filmed at a party in which I thought "this seems like a really cool stripped down version of a song. And she has an interesting voice." So, I got it with my hopes up. But I was wrong. It was not a stripped down version of a song. The whole album is like this. It is hard for me to hate music. I love music, and can generally find something redeeming about nearly every noise that people are proud enough to put on a record, but this is horrible meandering whiny drivel. I buy a lot of records, and I never ever write a negative review, but this music is so bad, it actually makes me angry as I type about it. It is the kind of music, that if you were stuck at the bottom of a well with a crazed serial killer standing above you slowing filling it in with water and laughing a sinister laugh, you would hear. 


Sorry. 

Eddie Vedder - Ukulele Songs
Ah, Eddie Vedder. Why? This album has kinda turned into a running joke with a few friends of mine. When I first heard he was making it, I was filled with excited hesitation. His solo stuff from Into The Wild was fantastic, but a Ukulele? Really? Yeah, it does not work. And now it's been nominated for a Grammy?! 

Eisley - The Valley
Paramore for the indie sect. Paramore for the indie sect, but less catchy songs. Paramore for the indie sect, but too safe. 

Julianna Barwick - The Magic Place
Oi. This album was all over every music blog that I read. Words like "genius," "album of the year," and "groundbreaking" were often tossed around. So, I felt obligated to pick it up, and I cannot fathom their words. This is indie elevator music. I cannot listen to it without falling asleep. 

The Kooks - Junk Of The Heart
This record may be on here due to my own expectations. I have never been a full on Kooks fan, but I have liked a song here and there. So, I picked this up. But it feels like The Kooks want so bad to be a success that they formulated their album to be as radio friendly as possible, and by doing so, they lost everything that made them unique and special. 

The Unthanks - Last
This entire record does not suck. I want to get that out there first and foremost. Their song "Give Away Your Heart" is strikingly, hauntingly pretty. And it is the reason I picked up the record. But I think I liked that song SO much that the rest of the record, which is so different, just fell far short of what I wanted it to be. 

2 comments:

Richard G December 4, 2011 at 2:10 PM  

I hate doing this kind of list too. There are so many positive things to do instead but, as an evil necessity, this is actually quite a good one.

Addi December 5, 2011 at 11:12 AM  

Thanks Richard! It's hard to tread the line between honest and hurtful, I appreciate you reading.

Post a Comment