Best of 2011: Rediscoveries

>> Monday, December 5, 2011

I spend so much time finding what's next I often forget about what was. It is the biggest complaint I get about the music I share. And, although, I often ignore that complaint. It doesn't mean that I ignore all the music that came before. This list is a quick little jog down memory lane. These are albums, or reincarnations of albums (you'll see) from years past that I have rediscovered in 2011. I hope you enjoy.

Counting Crows - Across A Wire: Live in NYC
Best live album of all time.

"Have You Seen Me Lately" by Counting Crows (VH1 Storytellers)


Counting Crows - August and Everything After (kinda).
I have never really forgotten about Counting Crows. August and Everything After is my favorite album of alltime. But the Counting Crows released "Live at Town Hall" album and DVD. This a live concert where the only songs they play, beginning to end are from August and Everything After. In Order. Best. Idea. Ever. Totally gives the classic record a new life.

"Rain King" by Counting Crows (Live at Town Hall)


The Eels - Beautiful Freak
This record defined 1996 for me.

"My Beloved Monster" by The Eels


Tonic - Lemon Parade
Damn. 1996 was a hell of a year for music. Like seriously. If I were to rank years (idea!) this one would be damn close to the top.

"Soldier's Daughter" by Tonic


"Travis" - The Man Who
This is who Coldplay stole their sound from. That's just science.

"As You Are" by Travis


Third Eye Blind - Third Eye Blind
This, like the Counting Crows album, is not one I ever forgot about. But, I have not listened to it nearly enough in the recent years. One of the most complete records, start to especially strong finish.

"God Of Wine" by Third Eye Blind


Wood - Songs From Stamford Hill
This is probably the best album you have never heard of. Far and away the best no hit wonder ever. Created, released an astoundingly good record and disbanded in record time, this outfit never got its due. But, it has been one of my favorite albums for 12 years now.

"Could I Be" by Wood


0 comments:

Post a Comment